Kellyanne Conway Calls Out Wolf Blitzer Over Her HusbandNewser — Newser Editors
On Wednesday, George Conway appeared on MSNBC to provide analysis of the first day of the impeachment hearings. The move made a splash because Conway is not only a frequent critic of President Trump but the husband of top Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway, and he had not made any TV appearances until that point.
On Thursday, Wolf Blitzer of CNN interviewed Kellyanne Conway, and he wrapped up by asking her about her husband's appearance. It didn't go well. The details:
- As Blitzer was bringing up the topic, he said, "I don't want to talk about your marriage. I know that there are issues there," per the Hill.
The comment prompted Conway to do a double-take. "What did you just say," she asked. "Did you just say there are issues there? You don’t want to talk about my marriage but—” Watch the clip here.
- Blitzer interjected, reiterating that he didn't want to talk about their marriage, as Conway asked, "Why would you say that?" Blitzer said he only wanted to talk about a "substantive point" made by George Conway, then played a clip in which George Conway accuses President Trump of putting his own interests ahead of the country's, per Mediaite.
- After the clip, Kellyanne Conway said, "That's his opinion," but turned the conversation back to CNN's decision to air the clip for her reaction, which she suggested was purely for sensationalism. After all, she said, cable TV has no shortage of anti-Trump sentiment, especially CNN, so why did they pick her husband? "Where is the shame, where is the introspection," Conway asked.
- And to Blitzer personally, she said: "I think you embarrassed yourself and I'm embarrassed for you because this is CNN now? I looked up to you when I was in college and law school, I would turn on CNN to see what Wolf Blitzer had to say about war, famine, disruption abroad.
I really respected you for all those years as someone that would give you the news and now it's what somebody's husband says."
- This isn't the first time Conway has tangled with journalists in regard to her marriage, notes Politico. Last month, she warned a reporter to back off from covering her "personal life" or to expect the same treatment in return.
- During George Conway's MSNBC appearance, neither the hosts nor commenters made note of his marriage, per the New York Times. Here is how the Times describes him: "Little known outside legal circles before his wife’s ascent to political stardom, Mr.
Conway has become a liberal sensation by emerging as an unlikely critic of the president." It adds that "his Twitter account, once a sleepy province of corgi and cat videos, is now a favorite of Trump detractors eager for Mr.
Conway’s sweeping and spiky denunciations."
- Monica Lewinsky Is Not Enjoying Her Friday
- McSally Slams CNN, but Gets Pressed on Fox News
- High Court to Decide Electoral College Rule
This article originally appeared on Newser: Kellyanne Conway Calls Out Wolf Blitzer Over Her Husband